So, I have a problem with my kids eating a healthy breakfast. The 2-year-old hardly wants to eat anything at all and the 4-year-old always wants to eat cookies. You see, she is a night owl who goes to bed super late, is difficult to rouse in the morning, and we never have time to let her sit down and eat breakfast at home. For awhile there, I was giving her cookies or cereal in baggies to eat on the way to school because, well, she was hungry and that was easy. I know, I know, parent of the year here, right?
Anyway, I found this great article the other day that has on the go breakfast ideas for kids. Most of these are fairly healthy and, thankfully, do not contain ridiculous ingredients that most kids won't touch (raise your hand if you are tired of those types of articles).
Another one to add to the list: I made the kids pancakes last weekend and added some pureed cauliflower to them. Cauliflower is a great vegetable puree to add to things because it won't change the color of the food and it doesn't have an overpowering flavor, either. It's also chock full protein, fiber and essential vitamins like vitamins C and B-6.
So, I made a huge batch of the cauliflower pancakes and froze them. This morning, as usual, the 4-year-old woke up late and was hungry. I popped two of the pancakes in the toaster and then spread some strawberry preserves (real ones too, from a local farm), onto the pancakes to make sort of a jam sandwich. She LOVED it! And the best part is that she was able to eat it in the car on the way to school.
If anyone has other great healthy breakfast (or even lunch/dinner) ideas for kids, please share in the comments section. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment