I was perusing the Kindle library about a week ago and came across a book titled "The Cozy Life." I downloaded a sample and, intrigued, decided to purchase it. As I began reading, I was introduced to the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced HOO-gah), which does not have an exact translation, but can best be summed up as the art of coziness. The author, Pia Edberg, describes hygge as finding joy in the simple things and surrounding oneself with people you love.
Interestingly, I learned that while Denmark has some of the coldest and darkest winters of any country, enjoying only 7-8 hours of daylight during its peak winter months, researchers at the United Nations have deemed it to be the happiest country in the world. As someone who has lived in the midwest her whole life, the cold, dark wintery months seem to be something we put up with rather than relish. How can a country like Denmark, whose winter is even colder and darker, be a happier place? The answer is hygge. Danes welcome those frigid months as opportunities to spend time with family and friends, sitting by a fire, candles lit, sipping hot beverages and telling stories. This is hygge. Making the most of where you are and what you have. Embracing it, not fighting it.
To hygge properly, you simply must embrace your present situation and seek out all positive aspects of it. This is something that has come very naturally to me this winter, since the recent absence of a customary winter has me welcoming a traditional cold and snowy season. These are some of the things I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, so far:
- Snow. The snow is just so beautiful, covering everything with its white blanket. I am fortunate to have a wooded area behind my house, and I frequently see deer walking by. When the snow is falling, nothing is more beautiful. I could just stare out the window for hours, taking it all in.
- Tea. I love tea, and what better time to drink lots of delicious hot tea than when it's cold outside? A cup of chamomile before bedtime, or some oolong with dinner? It truly nourishes the soul, as well as the body. The secret is to sip slowly and savor each drop.
- Candles. I have found that lighting candles instantly brings a calming effect to any atmosphere. There is something about the flickering of the flame and the warm, cozy glow that evokes a sense of peace.
- Fleece jammy pants. No piece of clothing that I own is more comfortable than my fleece jammy pants. I have a couple of pair that I rotate. They are so warm, in fact, that I cannot wear them unless it is very cold, or else they make me sweat. I relish the cold weather as the opportunity feel as comfy and cozy as possible in my fleece jammy pants.
- Cooking and baking. I love to cook and bake and usually do so almost every day. However, the winter months make cooking, and especially baking, even more appealing. I love to fill the house with delicious aromas and see the enjoyment on the faces of my family as they consume my edible creations. One of my favorite things to make during the winter months is sweet potato pancakes. The smell and taste nurtures both soul and body.
- Indoor activities. My daughter and I have been enjoying several cozy activities this winter. We have been reading books together, doing puzzles together (actually, the entire family has participated in this), and even learning to sew together. The kitchen table is our unofficial workspace, and I love looking out at the snow while we cozily work together on a project inside.
Aside from the little joys I have been finding in winter, I have come to realize what an important part winter is of the circle of life. I feel blessed to live in the midwest, where each season has its own, distinct personality. Sure, temperatures can get pretty extreme, but each season is special in its own way, and the seasons as a whole are a welcome reminder that God is ultimately in control. We never need to be afraid or depressed due to the winters in our lives, because the new life of spring is always around the corner. Furthermore, even the winters contain beauty, if we learn how find it.
Hygge is my reminder to slow down, drink in the present moment, and enjoy my surroundings. I will continue to practice the art of hygge this winter, and hopefully throughout the rest of the year, as well. No matter what your seasonal preference is, I wish you coziness, happiness, comfort and peace in the coming year.
No comments:
Post a Comment