Squirrel

Squirrel

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Memories

 Lately, I've been thinking a lot about memories.  I have so many good memories of my childhood and teen years.  I had an idea for writers. What if I threw out a month/year, and each person told me what they likely would have been doing at that time?  For example, May 1985.  I would have been begging my parents to let me be part of Hands Across America. My grandparents would be visiting from Johnstown, Pennsylvania. My grandma would have brought her brownies for us to enjoy.  My Pap-Pap and Uncle Kenneth and Uncle Raymond would be in the family room watching a Braves game on TV.  I would have been at that precarious age of 12 where I could have been playing with my Cabbage Patch doll one minute and trying on earrings the next.  I think this would be a fun exercise and a way to capture a lot of memories that might get forgotten later in life.

Speaking of memory, it's funny what the brain chooses to retain and what it chooses to lose.  My Dad has been struggling with memory issues lately. He tends to tell the same stories over and over to me and my siblings. He remembers things about our childhood that we find inconsequential but are special to him.  It makes me wonder, what things am I now taking for granted that will one day become my fondest memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment