Squirrel

Squirrel

Wednesday, May 28, 2025

Back in the day...

When I was in high school, particularly my freshman and sophomore years, I went through this phase where I wanted to be a 50s girl. I remember in the summer of 1988, I would hang out all day with my best friend at the time, Cheryl, and would come home around midnight (my curfew at the time). I had a routine; I would bake a batch of brown-eyed susans (recipe below) and then tune into Nick at Nite to watch The Donna Reed Show at 1am.

I always loved the simplicity of those days. Of course, this was before I went to college and became conscious (that's what we called "woke" in the 1990s). Looking back, I don't know why I loved that era so much. Maybe it was because I was anxious about my future and, on some level, 1950s women seemed to have it made in that they didn't have to worry about money or paying the bills. Of course now I know that's hogwash. Many, many women, particularly lower-class women, worked and worried about money. Not all husbands were Alex Stone. And even if they were, the Donnas of that era had no recourse if their husbands became abusive or even if they simply became dissatisified with their marriages.

Years later, I am glad I am not a 50s woman. I am glad I have autonomy and a paycheck of my own. But I will always love doo-wop and baking cookies. ;-)

BROWN-EYED SUSANS
3/4 cup Bisquick mix
1 package Jell-O Instant French Vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
1 egg
1 T. vegetable oil
Semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Mix Bisquick, pudding mix, egg and oil together. Drop into teaspoon-sized balls. Press 1 chocolate chip in the center of each ball. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment