Squirrel

Squirrel

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Weather

I am sitting on my deck absolutely enjoying the crisp air and the hum of the cicadas. I love this time of year.

It's funny to think about the effect of weather on humans. When we were kids, weather was sort of irrelevant. We did our thing and never let the weather affect our mood or our plans. It was just incidental.

Into my 20s and 30s, weather seemed to be intricately tied to my happiness. The things I enjoyed doing, taking walks, sitting on the patio, gardening, were dependant upon good weather. Winter felt like a death sentence.

But now in my 40s, I have made peace with Mother Nature. Rather than weather being an afterthought or an emotional puppeteer, I have come to love and appreciate some aspect of every season.

Winter, though cold, is such a beautiful and tranquil time of year. I love to watch snow falling, look at stars under a clear, cold sky, and spend time in comfy jammy pants, cozied up by the fire with a hot beverage.

Spring, although somewhat haphazard, is an exciting time of year. The days get longer, the daffodils pop up to assure us that warm weather is not far off, and the warblers come flying in from the south to sing their welcome songs from atop the trees.

Then suddenly, it's summer! Coats become a thing of the past, the flowers all make their grand debut, and the days grow longer and longer. Cookout food becomes king and my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables are exquisitely in season.

Then summer winds down and fall makes an appearance. The evenings take on a crisp feel, the mums blossom to give us one last shout of color before winter. Pumpkins and colorful leaves adorn the landscape, and the moon starts to show off in all its harvest glory.

Every season is a gift from God.  Every season has something unique and wonderful to offer us. Thank you, Lord. Thank you for this gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment